Inspiring a lifetime of adventure
Our immersive outdoor adventure programmes are fully adaptable to suit primary school pupils aged 7 upwards and could be anything from a one-night stay to a week-long adventure.
Through a range of outdoor adventure, bushcraft and forest-schools inspired activities primary school children can enjoy fun and active days, evenings spent playing games, toasting marshmallows and telling stories around the campfire.
The flexibility of a shorter stay gives schools the opportunity to introduce younger pupils to the experience of being away from home as well as providing vital outdoor learning opportunities. Our one-night trips also provide a cost-effective solution to ensure schools can offer an affordable primary school trip, whatever the budget.
View our Adventure Planner for information on our residential trip options for primary schools
Choose from our outdoor adventure centres in Hertfordshire or Surrey where our woodland indoor lodges or stylish, underfloor heated glamping pods provide a cosy overnight stay for younger pupils or primary schools looking for an Autumn/Winter residential trip, while our bell tented camping village provides the authentic under canvas experience in the warmer months for older children and those keen to enjoy the camping experience.
Our 1 or 2-night residential trips provide the perfect overnight school trip introduction for pupils in Years 3 and 4. Our tailored, shorter adventures give younger pupils the ideal opportunity to develop an appreciation of the great outdoors, while enjoying a range of activities to support personal development, encourage team work, and develop independence as well as social skills. Activities are carefully chosen to support learning objectives for early KS2 including:
– Building independence
– Personal development
– The introduction of new challenges
– Developing social skills
– Building resilience
“Our Year 3 pupils enjoyed a wonderful residential trip, thanks to Wildchild’s dedicated staff running great activities. It was a fantastic outdoor experience for our children, many of whom had never spent a night away from home. An exciting, fun-filled adventure led by a team who we really felt wanted us to get the most out of the experience. The children loved it – thank you!” Andrea Rutterford, Deputy Head, Devonshire House Prep School
“An excellent opportunity for our Year 4 children on their first residential trip. Activities were fun and engaging”. Radlett Preparatory School
With a choice of shorter two-night stays or week-long residential school trips, Years 5 and 6 pupils are provided an invaluable opportunity to experience the great outdoors, and benefit from the many learning opportunities it brings.
As children adapt to the challenges brought about by SATS and Secondary school preparation, an off-site outdoor adventure can be an outdoor education opportunity to build on the skills they need to help them thrive and excel during these final Primary School years. Or it could be the perfect way to celebrate and simply have fun with their peers before going their separate ways in Year 7.
Our adventure programmes for Years 5 and 6 are chosen with your key learning objectives in mind. Activities can be adapted to:
– Develop team-building skills
– Forge stronger relationships with peers
– Build independence and encourage perseverence
– Give pupils the opportunity to challenge themselves and try something new
– Build resilience and determination
– Encourage cooperation and communication
– Fit in with school topics to enhance classroom learning
– Provide a few days of fun and enjoyment as a reward for pupils’ hard work at school, and a celebration of their time at Primary School.
“You have made our first ever Year 6 adventure one to remember. Thank you! It’s been incredible”. Whytemead Primary School
View more testimonials from primary schools
Our canvas bell tents and exciting indoor options provide comfortable accommodation set in natural woodland.
Starting at only £99.00, all camps include activities, meals, full evening activity programme, experienced instructors and free teacher places.
Build your own itinerary of activities including bushcraft, team-building, archery, pot-holing, abseiling, zipwire, kayaking, climbing, crate stacking and lots more!
Answers to some of the questions that teachers and group leaders often ask
Our wide-choice of outdoor adventurous, Bushcraft and Team-building activities are designed to challenge, introduce primary school children to new activities, uncover new strengths, improve confidence and above all ensure that they have great fun!
These are just some of the activities children can enjoy on a Wildchild Residential Adventure.
1. Wild Camp outs – children love our traditional canvas bell tents… almost as much as the teachers who get to enjoy a taste of glamping!
2. Fire lighting – nothing like toasting marshmallows on a fire you’ve built yourself!
3. Abseiling – It’s the reward for working so hard to climb to the top – abseiling back down!
4. Scavenger hunt – navigate around the woods collecting woodland items along the way.
5. Teambuilding games – playing games in the great outdoors – what’s not to love?
6. Shelter building – working as a team kids love to get creative building their own woodland den
7. Zipwire – stepping off the ledge to whizz through the air – no adrenalin rush quite like it!
8. Traditional Campfire– At the end of an exhilarating day’s activities it’s time for hot chocolate round the campfire
9. Making bug hotels – children love to use woodland leaves and foliage to make their very own animal shelters.
10. Crate stacking – great for team-building – testing nerve and balance while those crates just keep on coming!
"We cannot fault the professionalism, skill and enthusiasm of the staff. Every single member of the team worked very hard and we could not ask for more. They have the right balance of respect, discipline and keeping the fun element for the children."
"We had a brilliant three days – a real highlight of the year for children and adults! One teacher summed it up as “the highlight of my career”. The children loved it and are already excited about the next trip""
"The trip met our objectives and surpassed them. It gets better every year. We love the instructors as they are awesome role models."
"A fabulously engaging and inspiring visit for our children who would not get to experience these activities elsewhere."
"We were impressed with the practical nature of tasks rather than all about thrill-seeking. We loved the relaxed nature of our time, smooth transitions and patient, caring staff"
"Wildchild’s ethos matches our own – teamwork, challenge and encouragement to face difficulties."